Jack H. Powell III, M.D., received his medical training from the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. He completed his general surgery internship and orthopaedic residency at Emory University in Atlanta. Dr. Powell completed further training in spine medicine during a fellowship at the University of Ottawa in Canada. He also did a hand fellowship at The University of Alabama and a sports medicine and arthroscopy fellowship at Tuckahoe Orthopaedics in Virginia.
Dr. Powell is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, and recently was recertified for his 3rd time. He has a special interest in sports medicine, total joint replacement, and osteoporosis prevention. At one time being an active member of the Olympic Medical Society, Dr. Powell served as a doctor for the U.S. Olympic athletes who trained in Colorado Springs for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games and also volunteered his services at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, where he served as a medical director. He is currently the Chairman of the Board of Governors of Mercer University School of Medicine.
Dr. Powell is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is on staff at Piedmont Newnan Hospital and Piedmont Fayette Hospital.
Dr. Powell comes from a background of prominent doctors and is the sixth generation to practice medicine in Coweta County. His grandfather, Dr. Joe Peniston, and his father, Dr. Jack Powell, Jr., were two of the four original doctors who founded the PAPP Clinic (Peniston, Arnold, Parks & Powell). Dr. Powell has three daughters and lives with his wife, Page. He continues to be an avid sports enthusiast and enjoys traveling and golf.
- Piedmont Newnan Hospital
- Piedmont Fayette Hospital
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, Virginia – Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA – Doctor of Medicine
- Emory University, Atlanta, GA – Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – Spine
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL – Hand
- Tuckahoe Orthopaedic, Richmond, VA – Arthroscopy
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Fellow
- American College of Surgeons – Fellow
- Georgia Orthopaedic Society
- Medical Association of Georgia
"He gave me an injection in left hip for bursitis and it has not hurt at all since then. Could barely walk before injection. He is very caring and helpful." – Betty P.